Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dreaming a nightmare

"Don't forget to say your prayers," she says. And the lights go out.






But I don't dream. I don't dream cuz I had it. I just want it back. So I lay in bed with my eyes wide open wondering when you're comin back. 


I remember when we first met. It was some time late in October. You were lazy about it, you made me wait around for the seasons to change. But I was so crazy about you that I didn't mind. Do you remember? 
So I was late for class, makin sure I parked by you and your car wasn't easy to find. I guess I was afraid that if I didn't watch you leave, I'd never be sure you'd roll back in my direction. Do you remember? 
We'd sit on your little blue couch watching movie after movie, but I can't say I remember a single one of them cuz you kept me laughin through the stodgy noise. You'd wrap your scrawny little arm around my body and pull me into that hallow chest of yours. We sat and watched our phones dance as our friends called. And we'd laugh. Laugh at how they had no idea where we were. Laugh at how we were having the time of our lives without them. And we'd laugh just to laugh cuz we knew this wouldn't last forever. Do you remember? 
And we'd run around your house with your radiant little family. I think they liked me more than you. And on nights we couldn't see each other I'd come pick you up after the moon awoke over the mountain and we'd drive around town with our troubles in the wind cuz we knew this wouldn't last forever. Do you remember?
And when you met my mom, well she actually kinda liked you and that clever cunning attitude of yours. She saw the twinkle in our eyes and the beaming of my heart. She knew. She knew it wouldn't last forever.
I belted that ol' twangy country to you along the back roads and you just about ripped your ears out, but you sucked it up cuz you knew when I pretended to be Taylor Swift, I was in my happy place. Do you remember?

But somehow, somewhere along the way, you pried the train off its tracks and we went tumbling into the busy city full of chaos and commotion. You managed to destroy what we had for no reason. You got wrapped up in the stupid commodities of life and never learned to break away. So you sit here and try to win me back acting all entitled. Well hell, I don't want you back. I want what we had and I want things to go back to the way they were and I want you to be more than satisfied with what we had. Yeah, sure. But you'll never get a love like that back. You'll never get it back. But I knew. I knew it wouldn't last forever.

So I open my flimsy eye lids and realize that this is never coming back. Things will never be the same. So it's time for me to move on, stop dreaming. Wake up and smell reality. The taste is so bitter, but that's life. Bitter. With a little flavor of sweet that is ever so small. Bittersweet is how I like to look at it.

But at least I have my dreams--bittersweet.

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't stop thinking about this one. I knew it was familiar, but I didn't know why. I figured out that you took Jack Johnson's song and turned it into something else. Did you use another song too?

    Either way, I really liked it. It's longer than the posts I usually read all the way through (don't tell anyone). I like the contrast, the bitter sweetness. And I really liked how you opened it. In the middle of things. I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! shhh you weren't supposed to know. haha but yeah i used that song to help me start it, then the rest was just from me. thanks for reading it all the way through!!

      Delete
  2. I love the whole thing so much. I can totally relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We sat and watched our phones dance as our friends called." i love this imagery, you guys were in your own world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. "But I knew. I knew it wouldn't last forever."

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me kinda sad.. happy it happened but sad it didnt last. i love you? smile... your smile is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was good. Really good. "I'd come pick you up after the moon awoke over the mountain and we'd drive around town with our troubles in the wind cuz we knew this wouldn't last forever."

    In love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "With a little flavor of sweet that is ever so small."

    This is such a good line.
    Pretty post. Pretty words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "we knew this wouldn't last forever. Do you remember?.." i love these to sentences together and i'm pretty sure every girl can relate to this post at sometime or another. It's crazy to me how we create something so magical and wonderful and then let it slip away. way to capture that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm wondering if I should write a little mini post to express how I feel about this post or if I should go along with the bandwagon and use conventional words to say how incredible this was.

    You're an amazing writer. And the victim of guy's stupidity. We don't know what we've got until it's gone and we beg it to come back.

    First hand confession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure if you're speaking this first hand confession as a girl or boy, but either way, we all have done this and it is rough but nonetheless thank you for your meaningful comment and for thinking i am a good writer!! haha means a lot, really :):)

      Delete
    2. Hey I used a Jack Johnson song in one of my posts to! At least I hope thats where you were going because thats where I took it.
      I'll be honest I have a hard time finding posts that I like which is probably because of me more than the posts. But I really really liked this post!
      You know it's a good post when someone writes about meeting up when its dark and you can picture yourself sitting at the bottom of the stairs and listening to make sure everyone is asleep and then turning the door handles just right so that they don't make any noise.
      I haven't ever connected with a post like I connected with this one. This is phenomenal!
      I want to know what kinds of things you read and what kinds of things inspire or give you thoughts or ideas. Thank you for your post!

      Delete